Emotionally sensitive children: education
Parents know that discipline is extremely important for raising healthy children. But how to instill discipline in a child who perceives the surrounding reality much more keenly than others?
There is nothing wrong with a child’s emotional sensitivity. Moreover, sensitive children are extremely kind and compassionate. But there may be some difficulties in bringing up a sensitive child. Sensitive children easily experience emotional overload. They often cry, worry about getting into trouble, and are often unsure of themselves.
An emotionally sensitive child often worries about small things and instantly gets upset over trifles. In crowded places (for example, in a store or on a crowded street), a sensitive child usually holds her mother’s hand and does not move away from her mother even a step. If guests come to your home, the child may cry, seeing a lot of strangers. Such behavior of the child causes confusion in parents – they simply do not understand, than it is caused.
Some sensitive children are not just emotionally sensitive, but also acutely aware of physical objects that cause them any feelings. Loud sounds or bright colors can put them in a stupor. Sensitive children may be afraid of large crowds and resist any changes.
Many people perceive emotionally sensitive children as just shy, however, it’s not just that. Such children are much more sensitive to feelings than other children. This means that they may feel very excited, very angry and frightened. So they are hesitant to try anything new and try their best to avoid emotional distress. It is difficult for them to establish relationships with their peers, because they are often perceived as “a boy who constantly cries” or ” a girl who falls into hysterics.”
While strict discipline can help children change their behavior, for emotionally sensitive children, punishment can do more harm than good. Therefore, it is important for parents to find a suitable way to raise such a child, so that he grew up healthy and successful.
Sensitive children can be extremely difficult to cope with their emotions, but parents, following certain recommendations, can help the child in this. This requires a lot of patience from parents, because emotionally sensitive children are often capricious and excitable. Consider a few recommendations on how to handle an emotionally excitable child:
1. Accept the emotional sensitivity of the child. Do not try to change the nature of the child and take into account his temperament. Try to find in the temperament of the child’s strengths.
2. Give the child enough time to calm down and deal with his feelings. He may be depressed by large crowds of people, and therefore in certain cases it may take some time to relax and come to a normal emotional state. Do not force the child to take part in group games and classes if he does not like it. Invite your child to do something that calms him: read a book, draw or listen to quiet music.
3. Set certain restrictions for the child. If you fully accept the behavior of the child, he will not want to change anything in it. Teach your child to be responsible for his behavior, setting limits for him, and teach him to interact with the real world.
4. Praise your child’s efforts. Emotionally sensitive children can be shy and insecure. Therefore, praise the child every time he manages to cope with his emotions. Make it clear to your child that you appreciate his efforts and that they are worthy of praise. Your praise will motivate the child to behave well in the future and will increase his confidence.
5. Give your child a sense of security and motivate them. For this purpose, the child can be rewarded for achievements in education, sports or any other field. This increases his mood and causes positive emotions.
6. Develop your child’s problem-solving skills. It will be extremely useful for them in the future. Life problems cause strong negative emotions in sensitive children, so they should be taught to effectively solve current issues.
7. Develop your child’s communication skills. Emotionally sensitive children often have communication problems and are unable to Express their feelings. Therefore, parents should teach the child to Express their emotions and Express their opinion.
8. Instill in your child responsibility for their decisions. Emotionally sensitive children are overly dependent on their parents. However, the child should be taught to take responsibility for their decisions. This is very important for the child to become independent and self-confident.